Wednesday 5 September 2018

A new Pathfinder .... (but not for me)

Here are a couple of pictures of a brand new Pathfinder to be. I had been contacted by S. H. a fellow former John Welsford design builder who was interested in the CNC kit I propose.
Under condition that the person is entitled to build a Pathfinder (i.e. has proof of purchase of the plans supplied by John via the well known distributors) I am able to supply a water jet precision cut kit which includes most of the ply components of the hull. .

The kit includes for instance the frames and the actual hull strakes which are cut to exact size, including the clinker overlap as per John's design. Puzzle joints are used to join the three sections that compose each strake. A few extra bits include the full rudder, centerboard case, and ply tools including supports to build a birdsmouth main mast and a router jig to cut NACA profiles on the rudder and centerboard. 
What is not included in the kit is decks, coaming and seat tops which by experience are best spiled and fitted to the actual hull

The kit is the same I made myself for my own Pathfinder "Astrid"; I integrated square plywood hatches (with door and sill elements) in the seat fronts and in bulkhead #1. In my boat I use stainless steel hinges and turn knob to operate the hatches that have proven to be well watertight using self adhesive neoprene rubber strips on the sills.

The kit I prepared for S. H. is cut out of marine grade all okoume 9mm and 12mm ply; nesting the components on the CAD software allow to save considerable amount of ply.
I look forward to meet S. this weekend to hand over the kit. 
After a couple of weeks' work to prepare the strongback, join the bottom plank with its puzzle joint and assemble the CB case, he'll be able to start the actual "making it 3D" process!! 

Monday 30 July 2018

First sail Sardinia

Here we are, finally!
Sailing single handed to transfer the boat from the bay I normally launch her to the one where our mooring is. Family awaiting at the destination, I indulge in a slightly more offshore track line to enjoy the perfect north-Easter ("grecale" down here) .

Sunday 15 July 2018

Been busy and something different

Been busy lately organising a small boat cruise/raid in the nearby bay of Hyeres and Porquerolles archipelago. Good turnout is expected, the fleet should count 8 boats!

Also I've recently purchased a nice example of a GIS, or Goat Island Skiff, a nice little boat designed by Michael Storer and built by a friend.

She is light and lively and quite different from the roomier, more sturdy and stable Pathfinder. I chose it as it allows me to take it to the water by foot from our house on a custom built launch trolley (built using bits of my sons' bicycles and skateboards).

The GIS allows me to squeeze in a quick couple of hours' sailing in a hectic schedule centered around work/family/house-renovation-works.

Of course Pathfinder Astrid will keep on sailing: we are taking her to Sardinia for our three week annual sail holiday. Astrid will also feature in the mini raid (see above) I'm organising.

Friday 1 June 2018

Pics from Venice

Heading north, away from Venice after the rain had just stopped (photo courtesy S. Zulian).

The leaning church tower in Burano ....(photo courtesy S. Zulian).

Not much wind today ...... (photo courtesy S. Zulian).

On the way to Valle Zappa (photo courtesy S. Zulian).
(photo courtesy S. Zulian).

Monday 14 May 2018

Great weekend

A nice picture from last weekend, getting the boat ready for this year's edition of Velaraid

Sunday 13 May 2018

At last :)

First sail of the season!
We've taken full advantage of a couple of bank holidays to do some maintenance work on the boat , mostly repairs leftover from the last sailing season. 

After months working on planning, building and finishing our new house it was a great feeling to take the boat cover off for the first time in ages and get on with some long awaited maintenance works.
These included improving the cb pivot fixing and seals, adding Teflon pads to reduce cb play in case, adding a cb slot gasket, light sanding and two coat of clear varnish , gaff repairs, adding licker drains where needed, replacing the electric bilge pump  and servicing the motor.

I also had to validate the procedure of getting the boat out of our (new) garden using an electric cable winch I installed for the purpose.

We had two days sailing both alone and with up to 4 kids onboard. Ideal conditions with nice steady winds around 15 knots. The boat sailed like a dream, I have to say that having produced a constant stream of little improvements to the ergonomics, the rig and storage areas is really starting to show in terms of ease of use and sailing pleasure.

We feel the boat is ready for the upcoming adventure: one week sailing and camping in the Venice lagoon. We are becoming regular participants of the "velaraid" sail gathering which is organised every two year by a phenomenal bunch of people from a sail club in Venice.
Astrid was christened and launched there two years ago.... I realise now how much of a gamble it had been back then to take a brand new, home built, untested boat to a venue such like that one. Velaraid provides great sailing environment and experience , but conditions can be tricky (traffic, shallows, currents, local knowledge) and it is better handled with a tested and trusted boat.

Really looking forward to take the boat there with wife and the two boys.